Head of Medicinal Chemistry
Animol Discovery is on a mission to create innovative treatments that fulfill unmet needs in the animal health arena. Our approach combines genomics, machine learning, DNA-encoded libraries, and structure-based design to deliver precisely targeted, effective, and novel small molecule pharmaceuticals tailored to the needs of animals, veterinarians, pet owners, or farmers.
Following our $34 million capital raise in July 2022 Animol is in a strong position to expand its portfolio of molecular targets and to accelerate its research programs. As we grow, we are looking for an experienced medicinal chemist to join our team.
Reporting to the CSO, the successful candidate will be accountable for all chemical design and synthesis activities, from the selection of compounds to validate biochemical assays to advancing novel compounds into clinical development. As a member of multiple project teams, you will oversee the optimization of compounds for potency, selectivity, safety, and cost-of-goods, against clearly defined Target Product Profiles. You will manage and coordinate several contract research organizations to deliver active pharmaceutical ingredients to challenging timelines and quality standards. The role requires a positive, can-do attitude, and the ability to thrive in a highly interactive, fast-paced, team environment.
As you work alongside several internationally acknowledged experts in animal health you will have an opportunity for significant continuous professional development, to further develop your medicinal chemistry skills, and to expand your research horizons.
- Design small molecules using a variety of input data (e.g., from DNA-encoded libraries, machine learning, structural biology, etc.)
- Monitor, analyze and evaluate data from various disciplines (e.g., chemistry, biology, etc.), generate hypotheses, develop structure-activity relationships, and design experiments to drive projects forward to meet milestones
- Design synthetic routes suitable for lead exploration/optimization and to address cost-of-goods issues
- Manage contract research organizations and external collaborations for chemical synthesis and medicinal chemistry.
- Ensure data, information, reports, and presentations are documented appropriately
- Contribute to drafting patent applications
- Effectively and efficiently communicate results
- Build strong relationships with external partners and internal stakeholders
- Share your knowledge and expertise with colleagues to foster a productive and collaborative environment
Required qualifications, skills, and experience
- A Ph.D degree in Organic Synthesis or Medicinal Chemistry
- 5+ years’ experience in the design and synthesis of biologically active molecules within the life sciences sector (i.e., human health, animal health, crop protection)
- 3+ years of project management/leadership experience targeting small molecule therapeutics development
- Good working knowledge of small molecule active (pharmaceutical) ingredient discovery technologies and processes
- Experience in drafting patent applications and evaluating third party patent applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work to deadlines in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to build effective relationships with colleagues and external partners
- Track record of success working in cross-functional teams
- Ability to think on both strategic and tactical level, set goals, plan, and execute
- Bias for action; a creative and detail-oriented approach to problem-solving and delivery
- A pro-active and flexible mindset and willingness to engage in a wide range of tasks
- Intellectual curiosity and the ability to learn quickly in a diverse and complex science and technology space